Monday, February 14, 2011

The Clowns of Westboro


I support same-sex marriage, not that I’m asking you to care. Isn’t that a funny statement? What could possibly matter less than my feelings about same-sex marriage?  When I hear someone say he or she is against same-sex marriage I think, “Okay. Don’t get same-sex married then.” And as far as I’m concerned that’s the end of the discussion.  This is one of those times when we get to do the right thing by doing nothing at all.  No advocate of same-sex marriage will ever ask you to do anything; simply get out of the way while he or she marries a person who is the sex that he or she was born to love.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Westboro Baptist Church was in the news again. It is tempting to be really angry at that church; off the top of my head I can’t think of a similarly small and powerless group as effective at arousing anger.  But to be angry with them is to grant them too much of your energy. My preschooler could beat one of them in a debate (not that I would let her- I hate show-offs).  Hypothetically, though, it would go like this:

“God Hates Americans, you’re going to Hell!”

“Daddy, what did he say?”

“He said, ‘God hates Americans, etc.’, even capitalized the “H” and used an exclamation mark I think.”

“Isn’t that man an American?”

“Yes.”

“I’m confused.”

“Good. That’s the appropriate response.  It’s best not to think too much about what they say. You will get a headache.”

They do offer a teaching moment, though.  If you want to show someone what happens when you bludgeon doubt out of a glorious (perhaps even God-given) mind or the difference between “knowledge” and “intellect”, show him or her the Westboro Baptist Church.  They know they are right and I am pretty sure they are wrong; “pretty sure” because, having just outed myself as a proud doubter, I have to admit that I could be wrong about that church- maybe theirs’ is the path to Heaven.  Wouldn’t that just suck?

No comments:

Post a Comment