Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dear Smitty


Dear Smitty,

My grandson was listening to the 90’s station on satellite radio the other day when I overheard a lyric I didn’t understand. I asked him about it and he said he didn’t know either, and he referred me to you. The song was about a girl, Mary Moe I think her name was. The lyric I couldn’t figure out was, “She don’t eat meat, but she sure likes the bone.” WTF (I believe is how you kids would put it)? What do you make of that? Is she not really a vegetarian? I’ve never heard of a vegetarian who would chew on a T-bone or rib, etc. At any rate, I like to give dinner parties and I’d like to ensure that I don’t offend any guests, even vegetarians. In fact, we’re having a party next weekend and one of the young ladies who will be attending is a vegetarian. We are serving steak to the other guests and were planning on fixing her a nice salad. Since she is a friend of my husband’s, should I have him phone her and ask if she would like his bone?

Signed,

Hoping to be Hip Grandma

Dear Hoping to be Hip Grandma,

There are several ways to interpret that lyric. I assure you that all of them are perfectly clean, and only relate to food. So, yes, I absolutely do think you should have your husband make that call.  And if it isn’t too much trouble, perhaps your grandson could somehow record it? 

Smitty

No comments:

Post a Comment